City Beat: Julstaden
Gothenburg is getting ready for Christmas. As you have already seen there are millions of lights lit in the Liseberg amusement park and all around the city centre. Most Swedes put stars and advent candlesticks in their windows. But that is not enough: soon – even more is coming!
On Friday, 9 th of December the Christmas City (Julstaden) will be officially opened. During the ceremony on Götaplatsen, Gothenburg’s entire Christmas light decoration will be lit! That will be 3 km long “Lane of Lights” all along Avenyn, from the Art Museum down to the harbour. But what else is happening during the ceremony?
- The Ceremony starts at 5.15 pm
- Gothenburg’s Lucia will be crowned
- Music performances by Gothenburg’s Lucia and Göteborgs Gospel Voices
- Premiere for the Christmas Film “Bengt and Arnes Jul”
From Friday onwards you can watch the Christmas Film on a huge sceen on the Art Museum on Götaplatsen. There will be three different films shown until the end of the year.
- 9 until 15 Dec – Bengt och Arnes Jul (Bengt and Arne’s Christmas)
- 16 until 22 Dec – Julens Magiska Rum (Christmas’ magic room)
- 23 until 30 Dec – Ett Hav av Jul (A sea of Christmas)
Please check the tourist board’s website for exact times because they vary from day to day.
But that is not all, besides Liseberg and many Christmas markets all over town, you can also go to the “Winter Wonderland” at Bältespännarparken (close to Kungsportsplatsen’s bridge). Every evening, you can enjoy an ice-skating show and the Singing Christmas Tree. Here again, please check the tourist board’s website for exact times.
/Sarah, Misi.se Team 2011