City Beat: Kulturkalas
Every year something extraordinary and strange happens in Gothenburg. For a few days during summer, Gothenburg turns into a city with a lot of activities, music, performances and people on the streets. The atmosphere is wonderful and a lot of things are happening. Then you know, it is Kulturkalas (Culture festival) again!
During the kulturkalas you can listen to some concerts of some major Swedish artists, watch performances of several dance groups from the area, get active yourself and participate in workshops. And yes, there is also a huge variety of delicious food on the festival area. The Kulturkalas will take place at numerous spots in central Gbg and from 16 until 21. The heart of kulturkalas will be around Kungsportsplatsen but it also stretches along the whole Avenyn, from Götaplatsen where the main concerts are, down to the harbour when there will also be a lot of music and dancing people. Please remember all events and activities will be free of charge.
To sum it up, the main places of the Culture festival will be
:: Götaplatsen – the aim stage for concerts and performances in the evening
:: Bältesparken (close to Kungsportsplatsen) – the place for activities, theatre and dance
:: Leve Klotet (close to the Opera house and the wheel) – activities about sustainable lifestyle and some live music, moreover the ship Gothenburg is located just a few minutes’ walk away
:: City library: if you want to be creative, enjoy some of the many activities there
:: Gustaf Adolfs Torg – the place for jazz music and food from all over the world (great combination, huh?)
We from the misi team picked some highlights:
- Maia Hirasawa – our favourite Swedish-Japanese singer performs her only summer concert in Sweden at Götaplatsen. Better not miss it!
Götaplatsen: Saturday 20th , 8.30pm
- Speedtrending at Röhsska – the design museum will give a short introduction to coming-up autumn and winter trends. Get your wardrobe right!
Röhsska Museum: Wednesday 17th, 3-4pm
- Carneval on Avenyn - dance groups from all across the world will perform on this parade along Gothenburg’s main street Avenyn. Better put your dancing shoes on!
Avenyn: Sunday 21st, 2pm
- Fashion Market – Have a look at the creations of top designers and design students from Gothenburg region. Get the Gothenburg look.
Trädgårdensföreningen: Saturday 20th, 2-8pm
- Open-air cinema – Enjoy a movie on a Gothenburg summer night.
Kronhusgården: Wednesday 17th until Saturday 20th, 9.45pm
- Opera at Bio Roy – Enjoy Rossini’s Il Barbiere di Siviglia as a streaming from the Metropolian in New York. Tickets are available from Wednesday 4pm at Bio Roy.
Bio Roy: Wenesday 17th, 6.30pm
If you want to highlight another Kulturkalas-event, feel free to do so on the comment field or on our page on facebook.
Map of Kulturkalas
Use the festival program to plan your Kulturkalas by yourself, there are lots of categories to pick out your favourites…
New in Gothenburg? Please have a look at our Arrival Article Index
/Sera, Misi.se team 2011